What Airlines Allow Big Dogs: A Comprehensive Guide
If you’re a proud pet owner of a large dog, you might be wondering which airlines are pet-friendly and allow your furry friend to travel with you. While not all airlines have the same policies regarding pets, there are several that cater to the needs of big dogs. In this article, we will explore the airlines that allow big dogs and provide answers to some frequently asked questions to ensure a smooth and hassle-free journey for you and your beloved companion.
Airlines That Allow Big Dogs:
1. Delta Airlines: Delta is known for being pet-friendly and allows dogs of all sizes to travel in the cabin or as cargo, depending on their weight and size.
2. American Airlines: American Airlines permits dogs to travel in the cabin or as cargo. However, some breed restrictions and size limitations may apply.
3. United Airlines: United Airlines allows large dogs to travel either in the cabin or as cargo, depending on their size and breed.
4. Southwest Airlines: Southwest Airlines has a pet-friendly policy that allows dogs to travel in the cabin, provided they meet the size and weight restrictions.
5. Alaska Airlines: Alaska Airlines permits dogs to travel in the cabin, subject to certain size and weight restrictions.
6. JetBlue Airways: JetBlue Airways allows dogs to travel in the cabin, but they must meet specific size requirements.
7. Air Canada: Air Canada permits large dogs to travel as cargo, but restrictions may apply depending on the breed and size of the dog.
8. Lufthansa: Lufthansa allows large dogs to travel in the cabin or as cargo, depending on their size and weight.
9. Emirates: Emirates permits dogs to travel as cargo, subject to certain restrictions and requirements.
10. British Airways: British Airways allows large dogs to travel as cargo, provided they meet the specific guidelines set by the airline.
11. Qantas Airways: Qantas Airways permits dogs to travel as cargo, but they must meet the size and weight restrictions.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs):
1. Can my large dog travel with me in the cabin?
Some airlines allow large dogs to travel in the cabin, while others may only permit smaller breeds. Check with the airline to know their specific policies regarding large dogs in the cabin.
2. What are the size and weight restrictions for large dogs?
Each airline has different size and weight restrictions for large dogs. It is advisable to review the airline’s guidelines or contact their customer service for detailed information.
3. Are there breed restrictions for large dogs?
Certain airlines impose breed restrictions due to safety concerns or specific regulations. Check with the airline to know if your dog’s breed is allowed to travel.
4. Can large dogs travel as cargo?
Most airlines allow large dogs to travel as cargo. However, it is essential to inquire about the specific requirements and procedures for transporting dogs in cargo.
5. Are there additional fees for traveling with a large dog?
Airlines usually charge additional fees for traveling with pets. The fees can vary depending on the airline and the type of accommodation your dog requires (cabin or cargo).
6. Do I need to provide any documentation for my large dog?
Most airlines require documentation, such as health certificates and vaccination records, to ensure your dog’s health and safety during travel. Check the airline’s requirements and plan accordingly.
7. Can my large dog travel internationally?
Traveling with large dogs internationally may have additional requirements, such as quarantine regulations or specific health certifications. Check with the airline and the destination country’s regulations before planning your trip.
8. Can my large dog travel alone?
Some airlines allow dogs to travel alone as cargo, but they require specific arrangements and documentation. Make sure to inquire about the airline’s procedures and policies for unaccompanied pet travel.
9. Are there temperature restrictions for traveling with large dogs?
Airlines may have temperature restrictions for pets traveling in cargo to ensure their safety and comfort. It is crucial to consider these restrictions, especially during extreme weather conditions.
10. How should I prepare my large dog for air travel?
Preparing your large dog for air travel involves crate training, ensuring proper hygiene, providing comfort items, and acclimating them to their travel crate. Consult your veterinarian for advice on preparing your dog for air travel.
11. What should I do if I encounter any issues during travel with my large dog?
In case you encounter any issues or have concerns during your journey, contact the airline’s customer service immediately. They will guide you and provide assistance based on their policies and procedures.
Remember, each airline has its own set of rules and regulations for traveling with large dogs. It is crucial to research and contact the airline directly to obtain accurate and up-to-date information regarding their pet travel policies. By being well-prepared and informed, you can ensure a safe and comfortable journey for both you and your big furry friend.